Saturday, July 23, 2016

the silver lining

A few weeks ago now, my mother-in-law took me to a local thrift store to start looking for some pieces for the apartment the kids and I are going to move into soon (!). As I was walking around, I had a bit of a moment when I got into my head about where my life has come and that I'm in a thrift store, can barely afford a used sofa and I've been abandoned and.... well, it was a downhill spiral, for sure. 


But then, she reminded me that we like re-using and re-purposing things anyway. That that is a philosophy we already hold. I remember when we were cleaning out our house in Boulder, taking things to the Goodwill and seeing so much perfectly good stuff being discarded and I thought to myself at that moment - I never need to buy a new thing again. 
 
The looks on their faces pretty much say it all these days



So, in a moment, my mindset shifted and I returned to my usual way of looking at thrift stores - as places with hidden treasures. I've always enjoyed second-hand stores and thrift shops and definitely antique shops and I still do. 

On this first trip I found two silver pieces of flatware, with initials and a date and all. I can only imagine the journey these two pieces had but I am excited to add them to my daily life and see them for the treasures they are.




I'm excited to share more of my treasures as I find them!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment