Saturday, July 19, 2014

reflections

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I've last written! One would think that, being on vacation with lots of other people helping with my kids, I'd have more time to write. Well... I suppose I do but I seem to always choose to spend my time with the people here rather than doing all the other things I fantasize about doing while on vaca: reading, sitting on the beach alone in peace and quiet, writing on my blog...

After a lovely week at the beach and thereabouts, we all headed back to the homestead. And even though it's only about 25 minutes away from our beach location, it feels like a different world.


photo by Matt Winkler





Chickens, gardens, farmland, sweet evening smells of the cooling prairie as the sun sets behind the trees, the wash of golden light spread all around us.... yes, it's different. The beach and the country are two totally different and wonderful experiences.

photo by Matt Winkler

photo by Matt Winkler

photo by Matt Winkler


We had some good game times including a new game, Cards Against Humanity, which is like Apples to Apples but for grown-ups. And un-PC people. Which my family happens to be. We loved it.



We hung with my grandma, one of the main reasons I came on this trip. She's a fantastic 96 years old and I am so glad to have had so much time with her. 



My brother, Matt, and I went out on a photography date one evening. He's a fantastic naturalist, among other things, and has a great amount of knowledge about the natural world here in Michigan. 
 
 





photo by Matt Winkler

photo by Matt Winkler

photo by Matt Winkler



photo by Matt Winkler




photo by Matt Winkler



photo  by Matt Winkler

photo by Matt Winkler

Jacob had a great time helping Uncle Matt work on the chicken coop. He was sorting screws and "selling" them. It is so fun to watch my child follow my siblings around and adore them and have such a great time with them. I love my siblings and to have my kid(s) love them too feels wonderful.


Hung with an old college friend. Took me back to my younger days and he assured me that "fun Jill" does still exist within me even when I feel that parenting has knocked that part out of me and made me a responsible curmudgeon. Whew!

More good times with mustaches...





MOM, Pick me up!!
 Love, love, love my siblings!!!






Four generations going strong :)


Upon the eve of our return to Colorado, I have mixed feelings, as I always do. We have all had a great time: Jacob has had people (guys) to hang with, roughhouse with, putz around with; I have had help with the kids, time to myself, time to hang with friends. I've had time with my siblings, who I love so much, time with my parents, who I also love in a different way. I haven't had to plan every meal of the day, every day. I've been able to have drinks in the evening, company throughout the day and did I mention help with the kids? 

And after two weeks, with everyone else getting else back to real life and my kids definitely showing the signs of enough vacation (especially the boy) and missing my husband, I'm (somewhat) ready to get back to my life. There are things I'm definitely not excited about and there are other things I'm ready for. Like the end of any vacation, there will be a transition period. But it has been great to see the family, hang out and get back to my Michigan roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment