Sunday, April 13, 2014

well, then....

I know it's been a long time, but I hadn't realized how long until I noticed the date of my last post - March 25th! Wow. Well, then...

It's hard to believe that Benjamin is approaching his twelve week mark. In some ways, I feel like I'm still back in February and am always surprised to hear that it's actually April. I guess that tends to happen when you're in newborn survival mode. The good news about Ben's age, though, is that (I think) he getting better (sometimes) at sleeping! He's funny, because it's not his nighttime sleep that is the worst, actually. Once he gets to sleep, he'll go four, sometimes five hours which is HUGE. But it's getting to sleep that he has a hard time with; it takes us two to three hours to put him to bed. He'll be sleepy, sleeping but lose his pacifier or jerk himself awake. 
 
It's hard, even though this is my second, to not wrack your brain for ways to make your child sleep better or more or easier. I know I drive myself a bit crazy sometimes trying to figure out why he's upset. I know people love to say, "Oh, you'll know your baby's cry and what he wants", but I personally think that's a load of crap. Sure, I can often tell because of context but not just by his cry. 

Thankfully, even the Benjamin can stress me out at times, holding him when he's not crying (especially when he's sleeping) or watching him smile and coo at me is the most wonderful de-stressor. Ironic, I think. But very helpful.




 Benjamin also noticed his hand the other day while laying in a patch of sunlight. Not that he knows it's attached to himself yet, but it was pretty cute to see him just stare at it.



 

Yep, the cuteness is pretty helpful....




Changes for Jacob too... He has almost outgrown his little bed, which is very timely. So, I found a bigger one for him. Someday I'd like to find a frame, too, but for now, the mattress is what matters. And of course, he wanted a "red bed".



Random Jacob story that all moms can relate to:
I go into the bathroom to take a number two and Jacob follows me in. 
"I'd really like some privacy," I say. "You know how you always want privacy? Well, I'd like that too." He looks crestfallen.
"But I just want to be with you," he says. "You know there are, like, a hundred days or more in the rest of the year so, you know, you'll probably have some privacy one of those days." 
How can you not laugh at that. Yeah, hopefully, I'll have privacy one of those days.

And with this warm weather, we've been enjoying some time outside which, for Jacob, means experimenting with crazy concoctions. 
I was also pleasantly surprised by receiving a new bike from Fraser. My other one that I've had since college has had a broken chain for a couple years now and is, well, a bit run down. I must admit, it's been so long since I had ridden a bike that I was slightly nervous when I first got on. But it did all come back to me just like... well, like riding a bike.


 
 

In other news, Fraser celebrated another birthday! We spent a nice day together and he and Jacob went putt-putting.  I must say, I'm pretty happy that this guy was born. He loves me so very much, even my stubbornness, has given  me two beautiful children and even now, after being partners for 9 1/2 years (whoa), I love him so very much.

 

1 comment:

  1. very sweet! You and Fraser make a tremendous team!!

    ReplyDelete