Tuesday, November 13, 2012

domesticity

Oh, there are plenty of days when going out to work sounds like a much easier route. To leave the screaming child with Daddy to discipline and be patient with and teach all sorts of life lessons you only hope they will someday fully comprehend. To go to work where I can talk to grownups, take a lunch break, check my email during the day, be praised for all my hard work, get a paycheck. Yes, there are days when that sounds appealing.

And then there are the other days. The days when Jacob and I lay in bed reading in the morning and he tells me, "Mommy, snuggle up" as he turns to me and puts his face as close as possible to mine. 

The days when we get to stay in our jammies most of the morning making homemade granola and playdough, starting the laundry as the house begins to take on the wonderful smells of warm cinnamon, nutmeg and oats.



The days when I get to eat a chocolate cupcake or read entire chapters from the Hunger Games while Jacob is napping.

The days when I can actually think about starting another sewing project.



 The days when Jacob cuddles into me and tells me he loves me, when he jokes around with me when I'm being crabby and gives me little "sandwiches" that will fill me up with love. The days when I know that this job is the most important one I can be doing right now.

And I am so thankful that I am able to do this, to choose to stay at home with my child. It's not a "have to" for our family or for women but for me, it's a "want to".

So, no, I may not be able to eat meals hot or in peace, may have super strong quads from getting up and down from the table so much and from carrying my almost-four-year-old up the stairs. I may not always look like I've had enough sleep or enough showers. I may not be as organized as the type A person within wants me to be. But I'm doing the best job I can, and I think Jacob is sure happy that I am. 



Homemade Granola

This recipe came in one of Jacob's kid magazines. I think everyone who eats granola, let alone makes it, has a favourite recipe. After all, there are infinite combinations. This happens to ours.

Heat oven to 300 degrees.
 
Mix:
3 c. oatmeal (rolled, not instant)
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. black raisins
1/2 c. golden raisins
1 c. chopped nuts
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinammon
dash of cloves
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. canola oil
3/4 c. maple syrup

Spread mixture on baking sheet. Press down until 1/2 in. thick. Bake for 20 mins. Rotate sheet. Bake 20-25 mins. more. Enjoy! 

P.S. I think I've followed this recipe exactly once. Usually I just chuck in whatever dried fruit and nuts I have or that looks like enough and go with it. Also, the more syrup you use, the more you'll get chunks of granola and the less you use, the more you'll just get separate oats. Just in case you have a preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment