Saturday, September 3, 2016

camping - single parent style

I decided to go camping this weekend with the kiddos. I only had one night available but I really wanted to do something fun and I've been itching to go camping all summer. So, I made it happen.


We took a chance and went to a campground that doesn't take reservations and nailed down a great spot. The rocks were a big hit, naturally. There was also a creek (tons of fun there!) and some waterfalls that we hiked a short distance to.












 It was the first time that it was just the little boys and me on a camping trip. Definitely different. Some stress around setting up camp without a grown-up helper and camping without a cookstove. We were working with almost all borrowed camping gear and so much less than what we have compiled over the years of doing this all together (our stuff is in storage in CO). 

But we cooked hot dogs, made s'mores and heated water over the fire. We stayed dry in our tent during some nighttime rainshowers. And the kids got wet, dirty and happy. I'd say that's a success.






It was great for me to be out in nature again. Taking care of myself and doing things that rejuvenate me has been challenging at times. So it was great to take this time with the kids and just be together. 

I also was sad at having this experience alone as a parent. Totally new territory for me. The beauty in doing it is knowing that I can do it. I never doubted that part but having the experience is different than the knowing. We are creating new ways of doing things - all of us. And this is one of them. 

It will be the first of many outdoor adventures because I know that nature makes my soul sing. I want to give that gift to myself and to my children. There is so much beauty in the world and not nearly enough time to explore it all. But I definitely plan on making a dent in it.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment