Sunday, January 12, 2014

prepare

I/we have been making some progress around here these days. At least this weekend felt that way. It's getting down to crunch time, I reckon, here at 38 weeks.

Lots of laundry washed.... still can't find the newborn size clothes, but I'm sure they'll turn up soon.






Several things that have been waiting to be hung finally got... hung.

yes, our kitchen is an unfortunate shade of pink right now



Fraser rigged up a light for a paper lantern that we got ages ago on our honeymoon. It was always a hope to have in a kid's room some day. It just took us five years to get it there.

 
Got my feet scrubbed and my toes painted so when I look at them during labour I don't freak myself out and stop all contractions...

yes, the big mound is actually my belly
I attempted to work on Jacob's closet that will be shared with the baby, but the shelves I got at Target turned out to be good 'ole poorly made Chinese crap. Disappointing. Maybe try Ikea shelves next.






And a friend came over today and helped me put together a bunch of meals for the freezer, so when the baby comes and I can't think straight much less cook a meal, there will be something decent to eat. 

Even though I planned this day and asked people to come and help me do it, I was still struggling last night, being exhausted after doing so much work around the house. I had no recipes, no food and had told people to come over at 9:30am the next morning. Thankfully, two things came together. One, a friend had sent me a website that featured crock pot freezer meals - Mommy's Fabulous Finds. Throw some ingredients in a bag, put it in the freezer, when you're ready to eat it, take it out for an overnight thaw and then stick it in the crock pot. I had envisioned cooking actual meals to freeze but this was way more my speed. And two, Fraser was awesome and wrote down all the ingredients and went grocery shopping at 6:45 this morning. Oh, thank you!

So... I think we have about 20 meals or so in the freezer now! Thank you, Michelle, for helping motivate me and getting it done! Really, it only took 2 1/2 hours. Totally my speed these days.


Along with these practical things, I've been preparing myself, mentally and emotionally, for the birth. Jacob was born during the 38th week of my pregnancy with him, so this baby could come any time. I'm trying not to get my hopes up that the baby will come early; I could still be pregnant for a whole month!

I asked some of my mom friends to send mother blessings or birth stories or something to take with me into labour. I want to feel the support and community of women around me who have been here and done this, our bodies beautifully evolving to go through this amazing process. Much of the community that supported me through my infertility journey is in Portland, and I want to feel their energy around me now. I have been so grateful for the things sent me thus far. Words, stories, tokens, images, light, music to take with me as I embark on this journey. The birth stories are intimate and wonderful and make me cry; a beautiful, personal gift that is like no other. I am very honoured to have good friends all over who are with me in spirit. Thank you. 



 
38 weeks :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment