Monday, August 27, 2012

"Don't worry, Mommy."

I think Jacob's favourite line these days is, "Don't worry, Mommy." Which probably tells you something about me these days... and him... and being a mom to a three-and-a-half year old. 

In the bathroom: He's been working on spitting out his toothpaste but today he swallowed the first round. "Don't worry, Mommy. It will make more bubbles. Don't worry."

At the dining table: He was trying to pour water on his hands from his cup to wash off his hands (and yes, I had told him to not do this). Water spills on the floor. "Don't worry, Mommy. I will find a way to clean it up."

In the kitchen: He's looking at a matchbook, "I'm not going to start a fire. I'm just looking at them. Don't worry."

We all know that that becomes easier said than done the older one gets, but one of the great parts of having kids is the simple reminders like this that you'll get over and over again. Do I want my kid pouring water on his hands at the dinner table? No. But is it the end of the world, worthy of a freak out? No. Perspective. Always perspective. 

I do try and remember what is felt like to be a child. To see the world from that perspective again. To remember that one's perception is just that - one perspective. It's different for each of us and the young ones see things so simply still. So, we put on some School House Rock and dance around, Jacob jumping on the trampoline and saying, "Look at my hair. It feels like a mohawk." Oh yes.... that's great.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment