Monday, April 23, 2012

a resume? what?!

Oh, sure I've done my share of resumes. Back in college. In my earlier days of being part of the paid work world. But recently? Umm.. no. So, when my friend suggested I send one along with my query letters I gulped but said, okay.

After searching a bit (thank goodness for my organizational skills!), I came upon some old ones. 2002, 2004, 2005. Okay, I could work with this. Then I started wondering if the resume format had changed much in the past 7 (oh my goodness) years. A quick internet search gave me many resume builders to choose from, and I quickly discovered that no, nothing much had changed. A clean format and the ability to sell yourself using creative jargon is all you need.

I updated a few things, gave a call to a friend in Boulder who works on resumes to inquire about some lingo, made sure all my spacings and tabs and dates were aligned and presto, a resume. Whew. Okay, not that bad. Not that bad. It's easy to be intimidated when I've been out of the "scene" for so long. But I do have some writing things in my background and I haven't been out of the work world for all seven years. Only two, really, and that's nothing considering I have a three and a half-year-old who I've been "working for" as well.

One more "hurdle" hurdled in this writing process. Things are coming along..... I'm coming along :)

No comments:

Post a Comment