Wednesday, April 11, 2012

making a date

One thing I have learned (and keep learning because apparently I haven't really grasped the concept yet) is that it is far too easy to procrastinate. My motto in life used to be: Fight Entropy. Entropy, the second law of thermodynamics, which (in laymen's terms) says that energy wants to fall to its lowest energy order. Think about it long enough and you can see it in everything, hence it being one of the three laws that deal with pretty much all of life.

Okay. So. The point being that it is so much easier for me to do so many other things that aren't really at all involved in my writing instead of just sitting down and..... writing. So, I'm going to try and make myself a "date" to work on my writing. Act as if this were part of my job and that things have to be done. Nap times are the easiest to start with. This means going to be early enough that I won't feel like taking a long nap while Jacob is napping. Check. I'm working on it anyway (until the next book sucks me in and I can't put it down until midnight!).

The evening times and weekends are the next goal. These are hard because they involve me using willpower to leave. In the evenings maybe it will be possible to hide upstairs for a bit and write. I think I want to start with two or three evenings to take some time, even an hour, and write. Weekends will probably mean just leaving the house for a morning. I'm the kind of person who likes a plan, though, and feels responsible toward it, guilty if I get off track (Catholic upbringing). So, I'm hoping this will work. It's all about willpower, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment