Sunday, November 27, 2011

Farewell

The smells of bacon and buttermilk biscuits linger in the house as I come in from outside. After a few "last" hugs, kisses and numerous goodbyes, I watch the car pull away with my in-laws, heading to the airport. Silence and stillness fills the house now, two foreign things for the past nine days. As I start to pick things up, I come upon many little reminders of our time together: the dot-to-dot book marked on the page Jacob and Pop were last working on, a dining table with five place settings set up, a boot in the living room from Mimi and Jacob's game of "shoot the boot". These little things around the house are bittersweet. I am so thankful for the wonderful time we have had together, and my heart is sad that these times are so few and far between. 

We will slowly get back to the regularity of our lives; the family of three that we are here, the day-to-day jobs that can't be ignored indefinitely. And yet it reaffirms the importance of relationships and family in my life. It reminds me to choose my life and the ways I want to live it. To be conscious of what I have in my life and what I want to bring into it. And it reminds me of the love that is around me all the time, regardless of distance and time. A love I cherish dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment