Tuesday, October 4, 2011

An Outline

While thinking about different aspects of life and how to align myself with.... myself, I've come up with some key areas on which to focus. 

Making space/clearing out. My house, home, and all that it encompasses. It is a base for my family and where I spend most of my time. It can be a source of joy and comfort or of utter frustration depending on what it looks like and what I have in it. Over time, I'd like to go through everything and clear out the things that don't mean something to me. I want to be surrounded by things I love and that make me happy, not things I'm holding onto for that "someday" that never comes. Random stuff not only clutters a house but also the soul. 

Choosing place. Fraser and I struggle with where we live. There are benefits and there are drawbacks, but overall, I'd say we both want something a bit different. Finding that in this huge area, figuring out where we want to be and for how long is part of this journey. I fully admit I'm intimidated by this aspect but that only means it definitely needs some work.

Feeding the body. Nourishment, care, activity. What does my body need to make it strong and happy? It's easy to clog the body with unnecessary things, mostly sugars and processed things. It's also easy to not give it enough of the nutrients it needs. We're so fortunate to live in an area of the world and the country that has an abundance of wonderful things to eat. My desire to cook ebbs and flows. And sometimes a box of macaroni and cheese is all I can do. I'm not going to give myself grief about those times; I'm just going to try and minimize them. 

Mothering zen. Looking at Jacob and helping him with the things he needs, lifting up and encouraging who he is. Parenting is one crazy ball of everything you can possibly imagine and then some. It is as much a process of learning for the parent (if she is willing) as for the child. I want to embrace what feels good and right for me and my family.

Connecting soul. This could encompass a lot and most likely will. The ponderances and whispers of my inner beings. 

I'll be the first to say I don't know what this blog will look like as it plays out. Hopefully, it will be enjoyable for others to read occasionally or regularly. And for me, I hope that it is not only enjoyable for me but that it also holds me accountable to my desire to listen to my heart and live the way I truly want to. That, I think, is a hard thing these days. It's especially hard when we get out of practice as we get older and farther from those idealist dreams; dreams we have before we learn to turn away from ourselves and into the world. I'm returning and deciding, now, what my dreams are and how to live them.

No comments:

Post a Comment