Friday, October 7, 2011

Around the House

Some things I've been up to....

 Baked fig crostinis from http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/baked-fig-crostini-10000002003467/

Okay, I'm still learning about these whole blog things and how to link things and make it look good. Not there yet, apparently. 

Anyway, the crostinis. They were tasty but not exactly what I thought they'd taste like. I used a very pungent goat cheese which I would not recommend. Also, the figs weren't super sweet but still strong. Overall, I'd give them a two. Still.... a fun experiment.

Homemade applesauce! Delicious. I got a bag of apples at the store and then my neighbour gave me a half dozen, huge, wonderful Honeycrisp apples. This applesauce is from the store apples which were not labeled on the variety but were green and came from Washington - hence the name. I must mention that I could not have done this without Jacob's help, specifically in his playing by himself while I made applesauce. Hooray!

 Some recently acquired artwork by Nikki McClure. She does paper cutting, starting with a black piece of paper and cutting away, making the picture. Incredible. She has an exhibit here in Portland presently, which Jacob and I went to see. There were so many of her prints I wanted to get but I settled for three. This one is now in my living room, reminding me of "the point". I came home and ordered a compilation of her artwork in a book entitled, Collect Raindrops: The Seasons Gathered. Great stuff.
www.nikkimcclure.com/ 


For those of you who haven't been following my last blog, Portland: Year One, this is the t-shirt quilt I've been working on since... oh, March, I think. Still within this year, so that's not so bad. I'm finally onto the binding of it! This is the last step! Granted, I'm handstitching it so it looks lovely - which it does, doesn't it? I learned the slip stitch, which I hadn't know before this. I'm quite enjoying the work, actually. It's pretty cool to see something look so nice and be put together only with a needle, thread and my hands. Simplify.


And if you're wondering how I get any of this done with a toddler about, it's all about timing, his cooperation and having it all right "there" so I can whip out (or in, as the case may be) a few stitches when the moment presents itself.
Finally, the other thing in the works is repainting. We are renting this house and I've hesitated for over a year now to do anything with the colours, but... they are so dreary in an already grey place. I've finally committed to changing them. Creating place. Making it my own for however long it will be which, at this point, is certainly an unknown. The first room is the master bath. I've just finished the cleaning of the walls which was disgusting. Just cleaning those has made me feel better already! You will all just have to wait to see the new colour, but I promise you it will be better than dark grey.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment