Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ode to Portland: Moms' Group

As we approach this final month of living here in Portland, I am frantically trying to experience all I have wanted to since coming here. Of course, that is impossible for there is far too much. Restaurants, bakeries, houses, antique shops, friends, not to mention all the incredible natural beauty of the area. Sigh. 

Over the next month, I will share some of the many things I have come to really enjoy about this area. The first of which is the moms' group I have been a part of.


When we first moved here, my good friend Jenny, from Boulder, hooked me up with her good friend Janelle, in Portland. Janelle had just gotten acquainted with a massage therapist, Brandin, who happened to be the leader of a moms' group with kids the same age as Jacob. Coincidence? I think not. 

The Rockin' Mamas embraced me within their group, beginning many wonderful friendships. These ladies are my peers out here: helping me become the parent I am today, listening to my trials and joys, supporting me through this entire infertility process, hanging out as women and remembering ourselves sans children. I have developed many very meaningful friendships over the past two and a half years.




Last weekend, Brandin organized the monthly moms' night out. I was taken by surprise by a beautiful (frameable) heartfelt card signed by everyone and a gorgeous necklace. The quote says: "A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you today just the way you are." I am honoured to have such caring, thoughtful women as friends. I will cherish these gifts always.

I am so very grateful for all these women in my life. And their fantastic children who have become friends to Jacob as well. This is the part of living out here that I am the most sad to leave. I am fortunate to have good friends in many places, and I know that the friends I have made here will always be with me, even when we are no longer able to hang out as often. 

Thank you, ladies. For all that you are and all you have been to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment