Saturday, November 3, 2012

polarization

I don't think anyone who knows me has any doubt which presidential candidate I have voted for during this election (yep, ballot is in the box). In general I find politics interesting and engaging; a lively debate is fun to me. 

That being said, I was listening to OPB today and heard a show discussing how politics these days have polarized so many relationships. This I find sad for many reasons but one of the more important ones is that having a difference of opinion makes it that much more important to talk about it. To be able to discuss something that matters to us, research facts, express feelings and make our own decisions - these are some of the great things that make the United States the country that it is. When we become so polarized and bitter that we can no longer discuss or even have relationships with those who hold differing views, it will be a sad day for this country.

And so, I am thankful today that, even though I hold different political views as some of my family and even some of my friends, none of my relationships have been ruined over these views. I appreciate that we can all think differently and still care for each other. I think that that, truly, is one of the most important lessons we are all here to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment