Friday, June 29, 2012

thoughts in my head

It is late. Too late to be up writing on the computer. And yet, I haven't done so in such a long time that I feel like I want to put something down. 

It's been interesting for me. A good mix of old nostalgia and present day experiences. Twice now, I have smelled the "Traverse City smell", a mix of campfire and the smell of the lake. That smell takes me back to being a child. Summer vacation, packing the van to the max, driving for four hours to get to the beach. The waves crashing on the beach, the freshwater smells blowing around me. All of those things an indication of summer being really and truly present. 

Now, this place here, Up North, is where my parents live. As an adult, with a child of my own, I have a different perspective on it. And yet, the simple smells of campfires and lake water are enough to bring my youth rushing back. More so this year. Maybe I'm just more aware of it. Maybe I've been missing it more. Maybe the water just looks that much more beautiful this year (which it does!). Whatever it is "right now", this place will always hold a special place in my heart. Will always mean fun and relaxation and family and summer. I'm so glad to be here. And so glad to be spending my time with people who are also, so very special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment