Sunday, April 1, 2012

weekending

I (and I daresay, we) have had such a nice weekend!

On Friday night, Fraser and I went to see the Carolina Chocolate Drops , a great bluegrassy, soulful band. I didn't know where we were going which made it even more fun for me. I heard these guys play at Folks Festival back in Colorado one year and have been a fan ever since.

We all spent lots of time this weekend practicing our egg-hiding and egg-seeking skills. We took turns hiding some plastic Easter eggs and finding them. A very popular game, to be sure. We also had quite a few rounds of hide-and-seek with people. Hilarious, really. Jacob is good at hiding in general but sometimes does like to answer when he hears one of us say, "where could he be hiding?" 

There was an impromptu dinner over at the neighbours' which is always a good time. Especially when we're having margaritas, guacamole and chicken tortilla soup with chipotles and fire-roasted tomatoes. Delicious!

Dinner tonight was some wonderful, freshly caught halibut. Ooooh... lovely. There are benefits to living here and the fresh fish is one of them. As Fraser was making the dinner, Jacob and I were playing some games and reading a new magazine that came today. This one, Click, deals with science for little kids. This issue is about reducing, reusing and recycling. I'm all about teaching that but the topic of global warming also came up in the magazine. While I do think it very important to teach the accuracy of that, I also think that 3 1/2 is a little young to start with all the details. Anyway, though, we read through the magazine which talked about reducing energy-use as well as some of the effects of global warming (i.e. drier climates and more wildfires). After, Jacob asks me, "When I keep my lights on in my bedroom at night, there's a forest fire somewhere?" Well.... not exactly. But they are related.... You can see how this is a bit advanced for three. I tried to assuage his fears while maintaining the importance of turning off lights. Haha.... 
 
All in all, our days together were a great mix between relaxing, playing and doing a few productive things (which always makes me feel better). We even saw the sun on both weekend days! It was still cold and windy but sunny! I hope you all have had a great weekend too.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment