Thursday, March 29, 2012

whew!

Well... after some sickness exchanges between Fraser and me, a (much too late) Rockin' Mamas 80's dance party, some snow and lots of rain, I'm back! 

A quick catch-up in pictures:





As for the weather (a shortish rant)... and nature in general (which I occasionally recall is my goal for this month), I think March is the month to take a vacation from Portland. Yep. In the future, I think this is what we should plan. I was in Michigan for March last year but I heard it was horrible back here. Now, I see what that means. 


As everyone else was experiencing record highs and early summers, we were getting snow. I think we've actually had more snow this March than all of winter. And, of course, this is the true rainy season of the year. Honesty, there are plenty of days when the steady drizzle and dull, grey cloudy dimness don't bother me. There are days when I find it cozy or beneficial (no droughts here). And then there are days like today when I am ready to throw in the towel and say, I've had it - I'm moving back to the desert! 


What it comes down to is that it is hard for me to enjoy a season of rain that lasts from November (or September) through May (or June, like last year). It is not like anywhere I have spent a lot of time in my life, and it is quite an adjustment. Oh, I have rain boots and rain jackets and umbrellas... it's just not the same to go out on a nature hike when there's cold rain coming down into my face. Call me crazy. Call me un-Portlandian. Fine. Next year, I'm taking a vacation in March.


The best thing we've done recently, though, as far as nature is concerned, is to put up a bird feeder. Those little guys don't care about a little (or a lot) of rain. We've seen: finches, chickadees, scrub jays, a flicker and a spotted towhee (Pacific Northwest variation for those of you who know there's a difference). And that has brought me more joy during the rain than anything else so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment